October is Fire Prevention Month: Know What to Do Until Help Arrives
First Have an Evacuation Plan and make sure your family or employees are safe.
WHAT TO DO UNTIL HELP ARRIVES TO CLEAN THE DAMAGE
A fire can leave behind soot damage, smoke damage and a host of other problems. Ceilings, walls, woodwork, carpeting, and floors will often need a thorough professional cleaning.
If your home or business suffers a fire, it is important to take the appropriate steps to prevent further damage. The following tips may help reduce damage and increase chances of a successful restoration.
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpet.
- Keep hands clean. Soot on hands can further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place dry, colorfast towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer/refrigerator completely and prop doors open to help prevent odor.
- Wipe soot from chrome kitchen/bathroom faucets, trim and appliances, then protect these surfaces with a light coating of lubricant.
- If heat is off during the winter, pour RV antifreeze in sinks, toilet bowls, holding tanks and tubs to avoid freezing pipes and fixtures.
- Change HVAC filters; leave system off until a trained professional can check the system.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers to stop particles of soot from getting in or out of the HVAC system.
- Don't attempt to wash walls, painted surfaces, furniture or carpets. Instead call SERVPRO of Garden City/Hempstead.
- Do not attempt to clean electrical appliances before consulting authorized repair service.
- Do not consume any food or beverages that may have been stored close to fire, heat or water, as it may be contaminated.
- Do not turn on ceiling fans. Wiring may be wet or damaged and cause electrical shock.
- Don't send garments to the dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set in smoke odor.
It is important for you to work with professionals trained in fire damage restoration to clean your home or business properly. Our Service Team and Production Managers are fully trained to clean fire damaged properties. We also have professional grade equipment and cleaning supplies to successfully clean soot and smoke damage. We make it "Like it never even happened."
Call SERVPRO of Garden City/ Hempstead today 516-620-4579.