Summer Fire Safety
Summer is in full swing! With the summer comes some of our favorite activities, such as outdoor grilling, fireworks and bonfires. No matter where you enjoy your summer activities, safety should always be a high priority. Preventing a fire accident is far easier than investing in fire and water restoration in the aftermath of such an accident. We’ve put together a few tips to make your summer activities not only fun and memorable, but also safe.
- Always have water or a fire extinguisher on hand. When you are having a campfire, or backyard fire pit, it’s always a good idea to keep a bucket of water or hose nearby. Sometimes sparks and flammable materials can fly out of the fire. Having water nearby means you will be able to respond quickly to keep the fire under control.
- Fireworks should only be used under adult supervision. Everyone loves sparklers, but the reality is, they can be very dangerous in the wrong hands. Keep a close eye on children when fireworks are involved. It only takes a split second for a fun Fourth of July to turn into a life altering disaster. Additionally, never try to relight faulty fireworks or sparklers. All fireworks and sparklers should be disposed of in a bucket of water.
- Maintain your gas or charcoal grill. Over time, grease and other flammable materials can build up on your grill. To help prevent a possible grease fire, always maintain your grills and keep them clean.
- Survey your surroundings prior to lighting a fire or grill. Make sure there is nothing flammable directly adjacent to the fire. This includes deck railings, branches, dry grass or wood. You should also NEVER start a grill indoors or directly under your home’s covered porch. Additionally, when starting a fire, take care to clear the area around where you will be starting the fire and make certain there are no dry materials that could catch fire from a nearby spark.
- Always completely extinguish a fire or grill. When you are finished with your fire or using your grill, always make certain that it is completely out. Grills and fires can quickly become a serious disaster when left unsupervised.
Fires, grilling and fireworks are all a part a fun summertime experience, but remember to be smart and safe so that everyone can have an enjoyable experience.
SERVPRO of Garden City/Hempstead wishes everyone a safe and happy summer. If you follow these tips, you may never need to call us for fire restoration, but we are always here when you need us - (516) 620-4579!