Preventing Water Damage - inside and out! Call SERVPRO of Garden City/Hempstead! 516-620-4579
Costly and disruptive water damage can come from inside your home or business, or outside. The good news is that you can take some basic steps to prevent a water disaster from occurring in the first place.
Prevent Water Damage from the Inside
- Inspect hoses and faucets. Check hoses to water heaters, dishwashers, washing machines and refrigerator ice makers annually. Replace any that have cracks or leaks, and replace all hoses every five to seven years.
- Inspect showers and tubs. Check the seal and caulking around showers and tubs to make sure they are watertight.
- Check pipes. Look closely for cracks and leaks and have any damage repaired immediately.
- Shut off the water supply to the washing machine if you’ll be away from home for a week or more. You should never leave the house while the washer or dishwasher is running.
- Know the location of the main water shut off valve in your home. A water disaster happens fast, but if you know how to shut off the main water supply, you will save time, money and stress.
- Install a leak detector. This will give you an early warning and precious time to respond to a leak.
Prevent Water Damage from the Outside
- Caulk and seal windows. A tight seal will guard against water leaks during storms or downpours.
- Inspect your roof. Look for missing, damaged and worn shingles.
- Check your downspouts. Remove debris from downspouts and rain gutters. Position downspouts so that they direct water away from the house.
- Install gutter guards. Gutter guards help to prevent clogging so that water can flow easily from the roof and away from your home.
- Check sprinklers and irrigation systems. Be sure sprinklers and irrigation systems aren’t damaging the walls and foundations of the house. In winter, turn off and drain outside faucets to protect against frozen pipes.
Help Is Here
The team at SERVPRO of Garden City/Hempstead has specialized training and experience in water damage remediation, fire restoration services, natural disaster prevention, chemical cleanup, and natural disaster cleanup. Call us today - (516) 620-4579!